Dry hair tends to sneak up on a person. The result is stubborn strands that hang lifelessly. Do you know what we’re talking about? Chances are that you’ve arrived here because you too suffer from dry, dull and brittle strands. If this is the case, we’d like to assure you that you have arrived at the right place. This is where the help is at!
At Rossano Ferretti Parma, we want everyone to have the chance to feel beautiful – as beautiful as the romantic, rich and diverse heritage and fashion of Italy, that we draw inspiration from. With this in mind, we’re about to share our professional advice on how you can easily fix dry hair so that you can boast lush designer-looking locks that don’t make you want to bury your head in the sand. We want you to feel stunning in the hair you’re in!
But first, what causes dry hair (prevention is always better than the cure)?
What Causes Dry Hair?
There are several external and internal factors that can dry out hair.
External factors include things like:
- The weather. For example, the drier the air is the drier your hair will be.
- How frequently you wash your hair (if you wash your hair often, then you’re probably stripping it of its natural oils).
- The hair products you use (do they include drying agents or sulphates)?
- Hot styling tools (hot tools can rapidly strip your hair of moisture and can leave your hair vulnerable to other drying factors).
- Home colour treatments.
Internal factors include:
- Unhealthy or imbalanced diets.
- Not drinking enough water.
- Any medications you may be on.
- Hormonal imbalances.
While we may not be able to give you any medical advice regarding your hair, we can recommend an optimising haircare routine. We’ll also share our range of Italian designer hair products that have been meticulously crafted to protect and nourish hair.
FACT: Rossano Ferretti Parma’s line is cruelty-free, and free from parabens and sulphates!
How to Fix (and Avoid) Dry Hair
It’s in the Way You Wash!
Does your hair feel dry and fragile after a wash? It’s probably because you’re using a shampoo and conditioner with aggressive ingredients. You could also be washing your hair too often. Improve your hair’s texture and add energy to it by applying the following techniques:
- Start by washing your hair less often. If you’re washing your hair every day, chances are you’re stripping it of valuable natural oils. These oils are your body’s way of helping you to maintain hair that’s soft and manageable. Try to wash your hair every second day – or even better – every third day. You can always use a quality dry shampoo on your roots to keep your locks looking fresh, clean, and catwalk-worthy.
- Place emphasis on washing your roots instead of your strands. Your roots hold the most oil and, as such, your tips will dry out faster. One trick is to massage your shampoo into your roots and then let the suds naturally wash through your lower ends – this way, they’re not “over washed”.
- Wash your hair in cold water. This tip may be a little harder to apply in the colder seasons but it’s an easy and affordable way to avoid stripping your hair of those natural nourishing oils we mentioned. Hot water, as relaxing as it may be removes oil from your scalp. Cold water, on the other hand, is far gentler on your locks and it can even help to seal in moisture. If you can’t cope with cold water then try at least reducing the water temperature down when you wash your hair.
- Choose shampoos and conditioners that have been formulated for dry hair. When you’re shopping for your next set of shampoo and conditioner, choose products that include moisturising and nourishing ingredients. This way, you’ll be adding moisture to your hair when you wash it instead of removing it.
* Take a look at our fabulous Dolce range. Our Dolce shampoo, for example, boasts over 94% naturally derived ingredients that work together to nourish hair and soften. It also includes hyaluronic acid to ensure that the hair shaft is deeply hydrated. The results – silky hair that feels magical!
It’s in the Way You Style!
We know that you love trying out new trendy hairstyles and that detailing your hair is THE final touch to every outfit. But if you style your hair without protecting your tresses, chances are that they’re going to dry out even further. Take a step back and re-plan your hairstyling routine by doing the following:
- Brush your hair with care. The trick is to gently dry your hair before brushing it, or you can invest in a salon quality detangler brush. This type of soft brush will help to evenly distribute the natural oils on your scalp to the rest of your hair – without breaking your strands as it works through knots!
- Use heat protectant hair products that work. Professional hair protectants can help to prevent hot styling tools from drying your hair out. They can also be used to tame frizzy hair and add a touch of shine to your locks. At Rossano Ferretti Parma, we cannot commend the following products enough:
– Dolce Protective and Detangling Spray (apply to damp hair before styling and reap the rewards of nourished hair that’s stronger than before).
– Prodigio Oil (this award-winning oil can be used before or after styling – it helps to renew dry and damaged hair and will add immediate lustre and protection to your strands).
– Brillante Oil (inspired by summers on Italy’s Amalfi coast, this luxury designer hair oil hydrates, seals in moisture, and protects hair from heat all in one – and it smells subtly delectable)!
Know how to best use your hot styling tools. Hot tools can drain your hair of moisture, they can also break your hair if they are not used correctly, leaving your hair looking even dryer than it is. We encourage you to choose highly professional styling tools as GHD, lower the temperatures of your electric hair tools during home styling and try to let your hair dry naturally when you can.
What About Colour-Treated Hair?
If you have coloured your hair before, then you’ll know that a colour treatment can take its toll on your hair, especially if you use home kits. The good news is that beautifully toned hair doesn’t have to dry out. With the proper colour care products at your disposal, you can quickly rectify dry hair that’s caused by dyes and toners.
Remember to Treat Your Hair!
Your hair deserves attention! Remember to treat it with love and care and it will look after you too.
Indulge your locks with a weekly or twice-weekly luxury hair mask treatment that will restore balance to your locks. We can’t get enough of our Dolce nourishing mask that’s enriched with over 97% naturally derived hydrating ingredients such as shea butter, fruit oils, Keratin, and hyaluronic acid.