Life is all about finding a good middle ground for yourself – don’t you agree? And take note that we put emphasis on the word “yourself” because your middle ground doesn’t have to be the same as others. At Rossano Ferretti Parma, we encourage everyone to embrace their uniqueness and individuality. After all that’s what makes us special!
But we’re straying a bit off-topic here.
In this guide, we’ll help you to find a good balance when it comes to washing your hair. This is because if you wash your hair too much, it’s going to end up dry and brittle. If you don’t wash it enough, it will become dirty and listless.
What are the Signs of Hair That’s Washed Too Often?
While you may prefer to wash your hair daily because it makes styling easier – or because you simply love the fresh and clean feel, the implications can leave you with stubbornly dry locks that are broken and dull. Other signs that may hint at your hair being overly washed include:
- Dry and frizzy hair that feels straw-like
- Broken strands that cause flyaways
- Hair that’s riddled with split ends
- Dull locks that lack life and energy
- A dry and flaky scalp
- A colour treatment that’s fading too fast
Finding Your Hair-Washing Middle Ground
Hair Type Matters
Just like there are products for colour treated hair, dry hair, curly hair, (etc.) – every hair type and texture will also require specific attention, and your washing routine is no exception.
- Thick hair tends to look cleaner for longer while thin tresses typically get oily and greasier a lot quicker.
*This is because sebum (natural hair oil) coats thinner strands quicker since there is less area to cover.
- Curly and coily hair are both naturally dryer than straight hair, so they can go longer without a proper shampooing.
- Hair that’s very coarse can be left for longer without a thorough wash, while natural silky hair is prone to building up oils quickly, so it can handle frequent washing.
- Colour-treated locks tend to dry out very quickly, especially if they went through a chemical process. If your hair has been dyed, we suggest you try to stretch the time between washes as much as you can so that your hair holds the colour and stays softer for longer.
* Use Rossano Ferretti Parma’s Splendido Shampoo and conditioner on hair that’s been colour-treated. This designer haircare range has been 100% crafted in Italy and is adorned with ingredients that include sunflower, mandarin and vegetable proteins. The result is hair that emanates the vital and dynamic colours of the Italian riviera – setting the foundation for the ultimate fashion statement!
What’s Your Lifestyle Like?
It makes sense that those who are very active will need to wash their hair more frequently than those who are less active. The reason is pretty simple: the more you move, the more sweat your body releases and this sweat clogs your pores and dirties your scalp and roots faster.
So, if you’re a gym bunny or just have a naturally active lifestyle, you’ll have to cleanse your hair daily, or at least every second day.
The good news for you is that there is a gentle shampoo available that can cater to the daily needs of a busy body. Try Vivace Everyday Active Shampoo. This professional hair product is ideal for sports, travel or busy lives and it can be used on all hair types.
And What About Your Environment?
This speaks for itself, really. If you often find yourself in environments where there is a lot of dust and/or toxins in the air, then you’ll need to wash your hair more regularly. If you’re not exposed to much dirt, you may be able to go up to a week without a proper shampoo wash!
News for anyone with Coloured hair
If you have coloured hair, then you should consider washing your hair less regularly Why?
If you wash coloured hair too often, it will lose the coloured pigments more quickly, resulting in a dull and listless colour.
What Type of Shampoo Do You Use?
The type of shampoo you use can play a huge role in how often you should wash your hair. With a quality shampoo at your disposal, you shouldn’t have to wash your hair every day.
We recommend Vita Rejuvenating Shampoo to those who are trying to cleanse their hair less frequently. Inspired by the autumn rains revitalising the Tuscany countryside, this invigorating shampoo has been formulated to restore balance to the scalp and hair so that it doesn’t become oily quickly. You’ll also enjoy the blissful and harmonious scent of Mandarin, Patchouli, Oud and Spice!
So, What’s the Consensus?
The bottom line is that everyone’s hair washing needs will differ. However, everyone should be able to stretch their hair washing routine to every second day, at the very least. And, if you are the very active type and your hair gets dirtier quicker, you could always try one of our shampoo-less cleansing suggestions below.
How to Keep Hair Looking Clean and Fresh In Between Shampoo Washes?
If you love fabulous hair, then you simply have to love dry shampoo. With this ingenious invention, you can carry on strutting your stuff without washing your hair every.single.day. Simply apply a quality designer-style dry shampoo to your hair between washes and your hair will remain refreshed and energised. It’s your best friend, really!
Look Good and Save the Environment
At Rossano Ferretti Parma, we like to take a natural approach to beauty. We also make sure to ethically source our ingredients so that we reduce our carbon footprint as a brand. To help encourage sustainability, we suggest you take the approach to wash your hair less frequently to keep your locks red-carpet worthy, but also to reduce your water usage. This way, you will also be playing an active role in protecting the environment.
Green tip: turn off the water while you lather your hair with shampoo and conditioner and turn it back on again for a quick rinse. Save water – save the environment!
So, there you have it! There’s our lowdown on how often you should wash your hair whilst keeping it clean, fresh, and full of natural goodness! No need to thanks us. After all, Beautiful designer hair is our thing!