Did you know that the right shampoo will make your hair easier to style and maintain? Oh yes, the road to luscious locks starts with one essential basic – a good wash with a shampoo that has been specifically formulated for your hair type! But with so many shampoo brands available, we understand that searching for the right product can be somewhat overwhelming.
As a rule of thumb, a good formula is one that will cleanse your scalp and remove leftover styling products, dirt, and excess oil without stripping your natural oils to leave your hair and scalp feeling dry and sensitive And then, if you have hair goals you are trying to achieve (for example, you want luscious waves instead of frizzy curls), you will also need to look out for the ideal ingredients and properties that will help you to reach those goals whilst keeping your hair in a healthy and manageable condition and of course avoiding products containing harsh chemicals like Sulphates and Parabens is a must; better to replace these products with ones containing lots of natural ingredients!
To make things less daunting and a little more exciting, this article will focus on the types of shampoos you should be using so that you not only have clean and wholesome hair but hair that’s worth a good deal of envy.
It’s Starts with Your Scalp
Shampoo is meant to clean both your hair and scalp. If your scalp is in a healthy state, however, then it will be easier to maintain your hair. For instance, if your scalp is dry, your locks are likely to be dull, listless, and flecked with dry flakes of skin (no one wants that)! Or, if you have an oily scalp, your hair will lack volume and life.
When your scalp is dry, itchy or oily, then selecting a suitable shampoo can be your first line of defence against the uncomfortable, and often embarrassing hair conditions that you have to live with.
So, your first step towards choosing the best shampoo for your hair is to define your scalp type and then rectify the problem accordingly.
Tips for Choosing a Shampoo for An Oily Scalp
- Avoid shampoos that have been formulated to heavily hydrate, moisturise, or smoothen hair. These blends will just add more moisture to your already oily scalp.
- Stick to labels that mention “volumizing”, “strengthening”, or “balancing”. The ingredients in these shampoos do not add extra moisture and work better at eliminating excess oil. Grandioso Shampoo is an excellent example of a shampoo that adds energy to hair whilst removing excess oils, thanks to a formula containing over 92% natural ingredients like Avocado, Ginseng and Keratin
- A clarifying shampoo for deep cleansing can also help to reduce the build-up of oil on the scalp. The trick, however, is to not overuse this type of product because it could have an adverse effect (your scalp may start to dry).
Did you know that dry skin can actually stimulate the production of oil and sebum?
Tips for Choosing A Shampoo for a Dry Scalp
- Volumizing shampoos tend to strip your hair of any extra moisture, so if you battle with dry scalp, then you want to avoid products with these properties.
- if your scalp is only slightly dry and has little to no itching or flaking, then you want to consider shampoo labels that promote moisture, hydration, and smoothing effects like The Intenso Shampoo range with Macadamia, Green Tea and Bamboo all helping this Vegan formula with over 95% natural ingredients to condition and nourish thick, dry hair
- If you suffer from a severely dry hair then a shampoo formula that includes ingredients such as Aloe Vera and can give you the relief you need while moisturising your scalp and hair. A perfect solution for all types of very dry hair is Dolce Repair & Nourish Shampoo which as well as Aloe Vera also uses Grape Seeds and Ginseng in a Vegan recipe to smooth, calm and nourish very dry hair.
Did you know that even when your scalp is dry, it is important to properly shampoo
Shampoo Choice Based on Hair Type
If you find that your scalp is neither excessively dry nor oily and you simply want to focus on achieving the type of hair you would like to have, then the following advice will help you to choose a shampooing product that will help you to attain your desired results:
1. The best shampoo for dry and damaged hair
Dry hair craves moisture, which means that a shampoo that includes deep hydrating and moisturizing ingredients is best. In this regard, shampoos that have been formulated using hyaluronic acid tend to be the most effective. Hyaluronic acid quickly gets moisture deep into the hair shaft to create a softened texture and immediately helps dry hair feel silkier. Other ultra-moisturizing ingredients can include argan oil, almond oil, avocado oil, or coconut milk.
Even if your hair isn’t dry, investing in a moisturizing shampoo during the warmer, Summer months will help to protect your locks from damage caused from heat and UV damage. The much drier, Summer air can also dry up your locks, and so a nourishing shampoo is best if you want to seal in moisture for as long as possible.
2. The best shampoo for flat or fine hair
If your hair lacks “oomph” and is in desperate need of an energy boost, look for shampoos that feature thickening and volumizing properties. Thin, fine, and flat hair can be the cause of several underlying factors, which can easily be reversed if you infuse your locks with the right natural ingredients.
Key ingredients to look out for in a volumizing shampoo:
- Avocado – The high content of vitamin E in avocado helps to add body to hair
- Ginseng – Ginseng has strong regenerative properties that reverse damage
- Macadamia oil – Macadamia is packed with antioxidants that free hair from harmful properties that weigh it down
A quality volumizing formula such as our Grandioso Shampoo, will support flat and fine hair by adding body, lifting roots, and adding natural movement to your tresses.
3. The best shampoo for thick unruly hair
If your hair is thick as well as curly, frizzy, or simply unruly, then opt for a shampoo that will smoothen and hydrate your locks as it cleanses. Moisturizing and calming ingredients such as avocado and macadamia in our smoothing shampoo help to de-stress strands so that hair with a mind of its own can be tamed into smooth and sleek “dos”.
4. The best shampoo for thin, fragile or aging hair
Crafted with only the highest quality natural ingredients, our Vita Shampoo gently cleanses while nourishing and fortifying hair from root to tip. Our exclusive blend of Certified Organic Botanicals, works to repair and rejuvenate hair, leaving it stronger and more resilient than ever before.
But our Vita Shampoo does not stop there. It also addresses hair fall concerns by stimulating hair growth, promoting thicker, fuller hair. With continued use, your hair will not only look and feel healthier, but it will also feel more luxurious and become easier to style.
The Bottom Line…
There is no denying that the better your hair looks, the better you will feel. The good news is that most hair goals can be reached when using the right products and styling methods. An excellent shampoo that is right for your hair-type forms the basis of any haircare routine. By knowing what ingredients and properties to look out for on a shampoo bottle, you will easily find a hair washing product that will help to give you the results you had hoped for. With this in mind, we help our tips and advice will help you to do just that.
Next, what about choosing the best conditioner?
Once you’ve determined which shampoo is best for your hair type, you can look for a conditioner or mask that compliments it. Most shampoos and conditioners are formulated, developed, and tested in pairs; so, it’s not often that you’ll find a shampoo that doesn’t walk hand-in-hand with a “mate”. Discover how to choose the best hair masks for your hair.