Hyaluronic acid (HA) has become quite the hot topic in the world of beauty and is being favoured for its intensely hydrating and moisturizing properties. We know that it’s used in skincare products to plump up skin, reduce fine lines and wrinkles for a softer, smoother look and feel. But what can hyaluronic do for our hair? Hyaluronic acid has always been a key ingredient for us from the very beginning –why? Let’s look to our Rossano Ferretti Parma hair experts for the answer –
What is hyaluronic acid?
It turns out, we have it in our own bodies! The substance is naturally found in our skin, eyes, and connective tissue. It’s what our bodies produce to keep our skin naturally supple and hydrated. The type of hyaluronic acid found in skin care and hair products is typically derived from sugars and appears as a gel-like molecule.
How does hyaluronic acid work?
Hyaluronic acid uses the fundamentals of chemistry to make it a powerful beauty ingredient. Basically, it acts as a humectant to gather an impressive amount of water that can measure up to 1000 times its weight. When it’s applied to wet hair, it grabs water molecules as it seeps into your locks, sealing them in along with other nourishing ingredients.
What does hyaluronic acid do for your hair?
Dry and brittle hair can be caused by several things, including over washing, overexposure to heat, air pollution and the use of hair products that contain harsh chemicals. When it lacks hydration, the result is frizzy, listless hair that can be unmanageable. The good news is that hyaluronic acid is so potent that it can help to restore and maintain the proper balance of lipids, humectants and proteins required for healthy hair.
Hyaluronic acid can be used on all hair types and provides the following benefits:
- It optimally moisturizes hair. Hyaluronic acid adds moisture to the hair, but it also seals it in so that it keeps your locks quenched for longer.
- It fights frizz. HA works wonders at sealing cracked cuticles (the outer layer of your hair), this leaves your strands smoother and tameable.
- Strengthens hair. All the moisture that’s soaked into your locks along with HA helps to keep each individual strand stronger and more supple.
- It can make the colour in colour-treated hair last longer. When hyaluronic acid seals the cuticle of your hair, it seals in any colour treatments too, ensuring that you can enjoy your new vibrant colour for longer.
- It refreshes curls. When you add moisture to your locks you add life and “bounce” to droopy curls.
- It helps to keep your scalp flake-free. A balanced level of HA in your scalp helps to keep the skin moisturized and in a nourished condition so that it does not dry out, break, and create flakes.
- It stimulates hair growth. Hyaluronic acid for hair growth is not a myth, this flexible ingredient can encourage hair to grow faster and thicker by ensuring that it has the best environment (a healthy scalp) to grow in.
How to use hyaluronic acid for your hair
Hyaluronic acid can be used daily and works best when applied to wet or damp hair. As a hair-enriching ingredient, HA works best when paired with other invigorating properties.
Our founder and hair maestro, Rossano Ferretti, recommends pairing hyaluronic acid with jojoba and argan oils for dry hair – or with collagen and proteins, such as keratin, for hair that needs to be fortified.
>> See below for a list of products that combine the above ingredients with HA>>
What are the best moisturizing hair care products?
The best hyaluronic hair care products are ones that combine HA with other natural ingredients to create a formula that infuses hair with nourishing agents.
We can highlight the following moisturizing hair care products that contain HA:
- Without a doubt, Dolce Shampoo for dry hair is the best hyaluronic hair shampoo. Drawing inspiration from the contrasting mountain and ocean landscapes of the Abruzzo region in Italy, this shampoo repairs and stimulates for fabulously silky soft hair.
- Intenso Smoothing Mask is the hair mask we recommend for thick or coarse hair (if used on fine or thin hair it’ll be too rich). This award-winning formula uses shea butter, almonds, and vegetable proteins to deeply moisturize your locks.
- If your hair is dry, then you can use our Dolce Mask to make your hair softer, shinier, and more manageable. The great thing is that the Dolce Mask can be used on all hair types, however if your hair is extra thick, we recommend the aforementioned Intenso Smoothing Mask instead.
- For fragile, thin, or ageing hair, you can’t go wrong with the Vita Rejuvenating Serum. With wholesome ingredients such as green tea, konjac, and HA, this formula effectively works to plump up hair strands whilst encouraging healthy hair growth.
- Dare to indulge? Our Dolce Satin Glow Booster is ideal for completing an enriching haircare regimen. This hydrating blow-dry finisher combats frizz, reduces moisture loss, strengthens and detangles hair strands, and inhibits colour loss whilst adding a velvet-like sheen. It’s bliss in a bottle!